2021 Discover New Zealand - Kowhai Silver Proof Coin - Single Coin
2021 Discover New Zealand - Kowhai Silver Proof Coin - Single Coin for only GBP £85.03
- Stephen Fuller, Wellington, New Zealand Katiaki designed by Dave Burke, Tauranga, New Zealand
- The Commonwealth Mint
- Silver Proof with select colour
- 36 mm
- One New Zealand Dollar
The coin depicts a collection of kōwhai flowers and leaves, with the flowers in full colour and the leaves in the silver of the metal. All elements are moulded and raised out of the metal.
This coin is the third in a new series titled ‘Discover New Zealand’, a stream of commemorative coins showcasing New Zealand’s unique natural beauty. The coins in the series are united by a specially designed kaitiaki - guardian - that sits at the base of each coin. The kaitiaki not only acts as a unifying feature that acknowledges Māori as tangata whenua (the people of the land), but is a minder or caregiver, protecting the taonga (treasure) encapsulated by the coin.
· The third issue in the Discover New Zealand series
· Minted from 0.999 silver
· Featuring a vibrant illustration of kōwhai flowers by Wellington designer Stephen Fuller
· Low worldwide mintage of 1,000
· Presented in a stunning yellow display case with a certificate of authenticity.
The kōwhai is one of Aotearoa New Zealand’s most cherished trees, its vibrant yellow blooms and the birds that flock to them welcome signs of spring. Some species are semi-deciduous, and their golden bounties of flowers appear before rows of small round leaves join them. The distinctivekōwhai flower is an icon that has featured on postage stamps and coins several times, including New Zealand’s former two-cent coin.