Swiss Railway Stations
The journey continues
The second series of de nitive stamps under the heading “Swiss railway stations” covers requirements for midi letters (A and B Mail), large letters (B Mail), and standard letters sent to addresses in Europe.
The legacy of railway history since the rst half of the 19th century includes a huge number of constructions – ranging from bridges and tunnels, power generation plants and workshops to station buildings. Many of the latter are urban landmarks serving as transport interfaces.
This time the journey begins in tranquil Appenzell (CHF 1.10). The station was built in 1886 and renovated in 1938. The build- ing’s historicist architecture blends in perfectly with the style of the village.
In contrast, the CHF 1.30 stamp shows Zug’s station at the junction of the Zu- rich-Lucerne and Zurich-Gotthard lines. With its multi-level glass structure, what is very probably Switzerland’s most mod- ern station building is the result of an ar- chitectural competition.
The nal leg takes us to Scuol-Tarasp (CHF 1.80). Renovated in 2009, the station forms the terminus of the one-meter gauge Bever–Scuol-Tarasp line opened in 1913. This building, too, re ects the indigenous architecture and incorporates a number of characteristic local elements.
The CHF 1.40 stamp depicts Interlaken Ost, a station served by several rail com- panies operating both one-metre gauge and standard-gauge trains. The elongated building in the so-called Heimatschutz style, which was designed to re ect local architecture, was built between 1919 and 1921.