Swiss Railway Stations
The final staging post on the journey of the “Swiss Railway Stations” definitive set represents a fitting conclusion, since it brings us back to the capital of Switzerland. Berne main station was inaugurated in 1860 and re-opened in 1974 after undergoing extensive renovation work.
Berne’s railway station, the second-largest in Switzerland after Zurich, serves the SBB, BLS and Berne-Solothurn narrow-gauge railway (RBS) and is a hub for the regional commuter rail network. The station in the Swiss capital was initially built as a termi- nus in 1860, but was converted into a through station in 1891. After many years of discussion, the building was renovated in the 1970s. The reinforced concrete construction, which is partly encased in glass, is nevertheless now stretched to its limits, with around 270,000 passengers passing through it each working day.
A new main entrance was created in the early 1990s along with a station square, which is virtually traffic free. Further reno- vation work was carried out in 2007–2008, which included a new glass roof. The ca- nopy, known as “Baldachin”, covers a large part of the square and forms a new landmark at the western boundary of the old town. From there, you can look out towards the striking station building, which Marc Weller has portrayed dramatically on the stamp. The graphic designer enjoyed a home advantage for the final stamp in the set.