2010St Catherine’s of Pärnu - Set
2010 St Catherine’s of Pärnu - Set for only GBP £0.37
In 1760 Catherine II of Russia decided to build an Orthodox church in Pärnu. She trusted the work to Pyotr Yegorov, an architect of Chuvash descent, for whom it was the first independent project. Building work started in 1764 and St Catherine’s of Pärnu, one of the most stylish and sumptuous Baroque churches in Estonia was inaugurated in 1768. It has Greek cross ground plan with an elegant belfry and several other slender towers. The fa?ade has a rich repertory of elements of decor – cornices, frontals etc. The church is an outstanding building in Pärnu’s historical centre.