Shipping: Shipping fees start from GBP £4.40

600th Anniversary of Metkovic

Set
GBP £0.40
First Day Cover
GBP £0.95
Full sheets
GBP £8.07
About 600th Anniversary of Metkovic

Located along the Neretva River, about twenty kilometers upstream from its mouth, Metković owes the first mention of its name in historical records to this river. Namely, on 17 January 1422, Dubrovnik customs officers intercepted a ship on the Neretva River near Metković and confiscated the cargo. The owner of the ship complained to the Dubrovnik rector about the customs officers, and the complaint was recorded in the Dubrovnik archives.

The first traces of life in the area of Metković date back to prehistoric times, and in the antiquity the Roman Narona, the second largest city on the eastern Adriatic coast, was built nearby. In the Middle Ages, Metković did not have much significance. During the time of the Ottoman occupation, it is mentioned as a large and rich village that was repeatedly attacked and plundered by the Uskoks. The Peace of Požarevac of 1718 established the border between the Ottomans and the Venetians, and Metković came under the rule of the Venetians. During the French occupation it was connected to the so-called Napoleon's Road and became the municipal center. The true development followed during the second Austrian administration in the mid-19thcentury. The town got a port office and a post office, was connected to Mostar by road, and on the right bank of the Neretva a port was built. In 1885 it was connected with Mostar by railway, and in 1895 a bridge over the Neretva was built. Metković thus became a significant trade and transport hub (permanent ship connection with Trieste), which led to the development of civil life. The Neretva National Library and the City Orchestra were established, Hotel Austria was built, theater life began... In 1919, the football club Narona (Neretva)was established, and after that the Tennis Club Metković. Between the two wars, the port of Metković became the second busiest port on our Adriatic coast. After World War II, trade and the economy were restored, and many companies attracted workers to the city, and the population grew. During the Homeland War, the town suffered several air and artillery attacks.

In 2011, the Town of Metković had 16,788 inhabitants in its settlements Metković, Vid, Prud, Dubravica and Glušci. It continues to be the administrative, judicial, educational, cultural and sports center of the Neretva Valley. It is the city of the NaronaArchaeological Museum and the Natural History Museum of Metković, which have yet to fulfill their maximum tourist potential.

Ivica Puljan, President of the
Civic Association Metković 600