Siglufjordur 100th Anniversary - Set
Siglufjordur 100th Anniversary - Set for only GBP £1.33
The town of Siglufjörður is situated at the fjord with the same name in the north of Iceland. Trading began in 1788 with Siglufjörður becoming an authorized trading centre in 1818. In 1918 the district became a township. On January 1, 2010, it had 1214 inhabitants, a substantial decrease from its heydays in the forties and fifties when it was the fifth largest town in Iceland. The prosperity of Siglufjörður was the consequence of excellent herring fisheries north of Iceland starting in 1903.