Alentejo/Algarve - Self-Adhesive - Set
Alentejo/Algarve - Self-Adhesive - Set for only GBP £4.17
Route of the Portuguese Cathedrals
The Cathedral of Beja (the Church of St. James the Greater) is one of the oldest churches in Beja. This church, which combines mannerist, baroque, and revivalist architectural features, is based on a rectangular plan, with three naves divided intove groin vaulted aisles. The interior is richlydecorated and of special note is the gilded wood carving of the main altarpiece, as well as some ofthe seventeenth-century altars. Between 1932 and 1937 restoration work was undertaken, above all devoted to the cathedral’s mannerist and baroque features. In 2015 it was reopened to the public following a further impressive restoration that has preserved thebuilding’s history and beauty.